Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Its here!!!! [updated]

Well pretty much everything arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to get a post up. At this point I have everything but the CPU cooler, a second hard drive, and the case, BUT I have everything I need, except, of course, the case;-(

So without further ado, here are yesterdays arrivals:



My time is a bit limited today, so Im going to shoot for getting the core of the system up.

Lets get started!

Here is the Asus P5B Deluxe:





This motherboard is enormous and heavy. It came with everything! It has a directional mic, all the neccessary cables, and optional fan for the passively cooled north/south bridge chipset. It also came with a number of power supply splitters, SATA cables and drop-ins for the firewire and usb slots. It has a number of nice features including, basically, an on demand overclocking(AI-NOS) where the motherboard detects a heavy load and will intelligently overclock the CPU to achieve better results. Thats pretty slick in my book. Here are the specs and a few pictures from Newegg. I was impressed with the feel of this board, it seems very solid and well built, exactly what I expect from Asus.

Next we have the ever popular Intel Core2Duo E6300:



It has OBVIOUSLY been a while since I built a machine. The size of this chip absolutely floored me. Its tiny, just over an inch square. Its the tiny metal object above the enourmous fan in the picture. Its the E6300 which is the 1.83 Ghz model. More than enough to do everything we want and then more. Here is an article on this MB and chip combination(or very close to it).

Up next is the OCZ memory:



This is some beastie looking memory, its got identical heat sinks on both sides, so its both heavy and thick. It obviously quality construction and its PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz memory, so its potent as well. I cannot wait to see this stacked in there. Almost makes me want two more, you know, I hate an empty memory slot;-)

Well, its getting late and I need to get some sleep so we will close this out with the Corsair HX520W Power Supply(PSU). I have always thought of the PSU as kind of a utilitarian piece, almost a consumable. You wanted a good PSU, but it wasn't a crucial part of the picture. No more! With the heavy duty power appetites of the new generation of hardware, you really need something that is going to answer the call. And I do believe this PSU is ready to do just that



This is another well built piece. I liked the idea of a modular PSU before I saw this one, and now I am completely sold. Cable routing will be both easier and better looking. It came with a nice case to keep the extra cables in, mounting screws and a few other tidbits. Out of all the equipment I received, this was by far the biggest pleasant surprise.

Tomorrow we'll talk about the video stuff(Fatal1ty,Hauppauge) that arrived today as well as the storage devices, a few fans, and the remote control. And one of these days Ill get around to talking about MythTV
but it ain't gonna happen tonight. Good night all, the case should be here tomorrow:

5:10 PM RALEIGH, NC IN TRANSIT TO
5:09 PM GREENSBORO, NC DEPARTURE SCAN

Updated 6:35am:
4:47 AM RALEIGH, NC OUT FOR DELIVERY
3:02 AM RALEIGH, NC ARRIVAL SCAN

Whoot....